WPD SAFE PLACE is geared to enhance the relationship between the Woodbridge Police Department, the LGBTQ+ community, victims of bias incidents, local businesses, schools and allies. WPD SAFE PLACE will provide decals to local businesses, schools, organizations and allies encouraging those locations and entities to clearly post the signage at the entrance(s) and publicly visible areas in their premise as the symbol of safe haven for victims of LGBTQ+ crime.
The WPD SAFE PLACE decals are designed to:
- Be highly visible, uniform and recognizable to the entire community
- Provide designated safe locations for community members to seek services
- Show support for the LGBTQ+ Community
Locations displaying the WPD SAFE PLACE decal assume responsibilities that will greatly assist the WPD in protecting LGBTQ+ victims of crimes.
The WPD SAFE PLACE symbol of safety will be recognized by residents and visitors and will indicate that your business, school, organization or premise is willing to assist and protect LGBTQ+ victims. To execute this concept effectively, the WPD requests that business owners, managers and community leaders instruct staff, employees, teachers, administrators, volunteers, counselors and/or students, etc. of the following protocol:
- Apply the WPD SAFE PLACE decal outside the front entrance of your establishment, building, room, etc. (approx. 3-5 feet high, if possible). If there is no glass at your front entrance, the WPD SAFE PLACE decal can be placed conspicuously inside your premise;
- Allow victims to enter and remain at your premise until WPD officers arrive;
- Call or assist victims in calling: 9-1-1.
WPD SAFE PLACE decals (4”x 6”) are provided FREE of charge. These decals are specifically designed for businesses, schools, organizations and allies to post at or near the front entrance to their premise as a symbol of safety for victims of LGBTQ+ related crimes and as a warning to criminal offenders. WPD SAFE PLACE decals are NOT to be displayed in private residences. If interested in participating in The WPD Safe Place Program, please provide the name of your business, the address, and your contact information by emailing us at the SafePlace@twp.woodbridge.nj.us or call our non-emergency phone number, 732-634-7700, for the Community Affairs Unit.